Dydacomp Offers Best Practices to Help Online Retailers Convert Abandoned Shopping Carts into Completed Transactions
February 22, 2012 (Parsippany, NJ) - Dydacomp, a leading provider of business technology platforms for small and mid-sized eCommerce and multichannel merchants, today announced best practices that will help merchants successfully target consumers to reverse the growing trend of abandoned online shopping carts.
According to a 2010 Forrester Research report, 88 percent of online consumers surveyed responded that they have abandoned their online shopping carts without completing a transaction. The same report reveals that the rate of abandonment overall was 51 percent. Some of the top reasons given for not following through with an online purchase are:
- Not wanting to pay for shipping costs
- Cost of purchase was more than expected
- Shopping cart was being used as a research tool for cost comparison
- Checkout process too complicated
“Once consumers have moved to the checkout process during an online shopping experience, we begin seeing a significant drop off between those who walk away from the transaction and those who complete it,” said Fred Lizza, CEO of Dydacomp. “Consumers will continue to use websites to research costs and find the best value; however, merchants can be more diligent in converting what these shoppers put into their carts into completed purchases. With a few site changes, online retailers can begin reversing the spiraling trend of abandoned shopping carts.”
The success of an online business is predicated on getting the consumer to the checkout process and finalizing the transaction. Along the way there are a number of steps online retailers can take to shift a healthy percentage of abandoned carts into completed transactions. The following best practices from Dydacomp can boost that conversion rate:
- Incorporate a third-party service, such as buySAFE, that provides a seal of approval that verifies to the consumer that the merchant is reputable and all information shared over the site is guaranteed secure. Having this seal has resulted in a six-percent increase in conversion rates, according to buySafe.
- Make online coupon codes available on third-party websites that award consumers with a discount on their entire purchase.
- Offer free shipping, if possible. Many consumers are coming to eCommerce sites to avoid having to drive to stores and shopping centers to make their purchases, and the free shipping offer will reinforce the benefit of online shopping, as many of the larger etailers have learned. However, most small businesses can’t afford to offer free shipping. In that case, it’s best to make sure you have linked your order management and fulfillment system directly to your carrier so that you can offer the customer the lowest shipping price options during checkout.
- Implement design changes that make your site less noisy, such as: changing the color and size of the “Proceed to Checkout” button to make it larger and bolder; decreasing the size of the “Continue Shopping” button which distracts consumers from moving to the checkout process; and removing the side navigation menu on the website so consumers remain focused on the products they want to buy, rather than giving them other options to move throughout the site.
- Capture shopping abandonment data and run target campaigns using a strategic email tool, such as eWayDirect, to drive consumers back to the site to complete orders. Study shopping abandonment data on an on-going basis and continue testing to increase conversion percentages from basket to paid order.
- Implement a persistent shopping cart to allow returning consumers to see what they left in their cart and have the opportunity to complete the transaction.
- Run online retargeting campaigns through online ad services, such as FetchBack, to make sure offers are top of mind with consumers.
Dydacomp provides essential order, inventory and customer management solutions to growing multichannel retailers that integrate easily with eCommerce platforms to drive efficiency, productivity, insight and growth. Dydacomp’s proven on premise & cloud-based solutions enable small to medium sized retail & fulfillment businesses to grow faster by expanding their eCommerce presence & automating back office operations to manage critical aspects of their business: multichannel order management; inventory visibility & control across multiple channels; drop ship management; rapid, reliable order fulfillment; customer management; integration with Magento, eBay & more.
Freestyle Commerce is Dydacomp’s latest cloud-based innovation. Freestyle is tightly integrated with third-party eCommerce software Magento, providing users with the smartest order management dashboards for the always up-to-date business insight they need to grow sales.
Over 2,000 multichannel merchants rely on Dydacomp's Freestyle Commerce and Multichannel Order Manager (M.O.M.) solutions to automate their back office operations and drive business growth. Dydacomp's clients engage over a million shoppers daily, generating nearly 10 million in gross merchandise sales every day. For more information, visit www.dydacomp.com and follow us on Twitter @dydacomp.
CMO & EVP, Sales